On Tuesday 11 Feb we attended a thought-provoking Green Alliance #CountdowntoCOP event.
Opened by Michael Gove, closed by Nicola Sturgeon, with fascinating panel discussions in between.
The conference covered a number of burning topics:
- How can the UK get on track to net zero?
- Is UK climate action inspiring global ambition?
- What’s needed to get the economy net zero ready in 2020?
- How does the UK make sure that climate justice is at the heart of COP26?
Common themes from the excellent speakers/panellists included:
- Need effective leadership (incl a COP President asap!)
- Collaboration is vital; Green Alliance proposed a Net Zero Club
- Need an “ALL SOCIETY” approach and ensure inclusion & climate justice
- Need to raise recognition & gain buy-in among wider public, applying ‘pressure’ on local & national Government to act
- Policies / regulation / trade agreements should be set ‘through the lens’ of #netzero
- Finance (public & private) is key; ensure projects are investable
- Education / relevant skills need to be developed at all levels
- Levers include Transport, Renewables, Retrofit, Industry & Food
- Biodiversity is as much an issue
- The right technology is important as are nature-based solutions e.g. planting native trees and restoring salt marshes, peat
- We need to ACT NOW!